Sunday, May 10, 2009

Victoria Doesn't Really Have a Secret


When I began to flesh out what women find sexy I found myself reflecting on my own personal desires and experiences. The beauty about being a woman is being able to crave a multitude of things. We have PMS: we lust for chocolate; we desire to be touched: we seek out sex. My picture is of Victoria’s Secret Angels. I chose this picture to personify my definition of desire because I view desire as an idea. Victoria’s Secret has built a million dollar empire based upon the idea of desire. Women desire to feel sexy in their own skin. Of course if their skin is covered in silky lingerie, it doesn’t hurt either. Although these models are incredibly beautiful I am not sexually attracted to them. However, I desire what they represent. They are the quintessential woman to a lot of men not to mention the envy of many average women.


I heard about this theory that women dress up for other women, not necessarily to attract men. I can’t say I completely agree with that idea but my example of desire proves it somewhat true. Models aren’t just attracting men with their sexy outfits, but they are appealing to a woman’s desire to attract men. So when a woman goes out wearing a great outfit and nice heels, although they may be looking for a mate, they may also subconsciously want other women to envy them.

So I guess in essence there is no secret to Victoria’s boudoir style lingerie line. The only secret held is that we are all sexual creature and we desire representations of sex. The angels relate to an ideal woman that most men will never have to chance to even meet. I guess my example relies on the idea that we always want what we don’t have: for men it’s sex with a supermodel, whereas for women it may be cellulite free thighs?

No comments:

Post a Comment