Tuesday, May 26, 2009

If I were a boy, I think I could understand

Although I may not have finished the novel the two voices that are apparent to me are those of a man and a woman. The narrator is interesting because she has all these different relationships with all sorts of women, that is reminds me of a man. Not saying that all men sleep around, because not all women sleep around. However, stereotypically men are the more sexually charged and permissive gender. One thing I found interesting is that the narrator does sleep around like a stereotypical man. The 2 voices of my blog will be between a stereotypical man and my personal reactions to the narrator.

I am a man. I love women. I love their scents, their tastes, and their bodies. I can have sex with a multitude of women and never truly have feelings for many of them. As the narrator left Jacqueline for Louise, I too understand being torn between two lovers. However, in the end it is about finding the greener grass. If I have to cheat on one to be with another, so be it. Like the narrator wanted to love Jacqueline as do I want to love someone. I’m not sure what it takes to love someone, but I assume I’ll know when I know.

I am a woman. I love men. I love their scents, their tastes and their bodies. I don’t understand the male species at all. Of course I believe sex can just be sex. I believe that people should experiment with different sexual partners just as the narrator has. I also loved her voice throughout the book. She was witty and aloof when it came to leaving lovers. I sometimes wish I had that ability. I would be lying if I said that women do not feel any kind of emotional connection after habitually having sex with someone. That is how I interpret the name. With every touch or person who we allow to experience our bodies leaves a mark. Whether it is on the inside or outside. We let them in and it is very difficult to erase the wording.

No comments:

Post a Comment