I have never read a graphic novel before. I never really got into comic books however; I think that the visuals helped the story progress in some cases. Conversations among characters were easier to understand. I also feel that during the action scenes it intensified the situation. I think if there were no pictures though, I wouldn’t be able to connect the scenes together. I was able to empathize with Carla, especially when she became fearful of her new Mexican friends.
Another thing I really thought helped the novel was the language. It was at times profane, yet honest. When the language was written in all caps for example I could tell the scene was about to intensify. I also liked how there was a translation section at the end of the book. It made me understand the storyline more and also how to identify with the characters. Understanding the language, helped me understand the story line.
When I think how Abel might define the word “woman” I think of the name of the novel: La Perdida. It means “lost” in Spanish. This is evident in the last page of the novel. Carla describes how she sees her past self, full of hope for the future and a fresh outlook on life. She sees her past self stumble down an alley and not soon after gets lost in the darkness. The last page Carla thinks “I wish I could find her again, that girl.” I identify with the idea of looking back and wanting to make amends with that girl I used to be. We get lost in the idea of change and are tempted by opportunity that we sometimes forget who our past selves are. Although my situations don’t involve getting held up in a Mexican drug cartel or almost going to prison, there are still things I would change. I think that is how Abel would describe a woman. Someone who looks at the world with rose colored glasses, gets lost a time or two, but emerges from the dark alleyways as a stronger person. Women may lose themselves but always come back to realizing who we truly are and where we came from
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that the novel could not be without it's graphics and spanish language because it would not give you the feeling and experience of being in mexico to connect the reader closer to the characters.
ReplyDelete