Sunday, April 12, 2009

"Love" Lockdown

After reading the novel, "Love" it is apparent to me that Toni Morrison is not a woman of few words. Her writing although fluid, is decorated with lavish words. Her wording adds almost a "perfume-ity" to the story. This only leads me to believe that the narrator, "L" is an observer. She recognizes her surroundings and picks up on the types of relationships all these women have with Mr. Cosey. One of the relationships I find odd is that of Heed and Christine. Christine seems to have this inner hate and resentment for her step grandmother, yet remains in the same house at her. When Junior arrives I expected Heed to be this mean old woman when in fact she opens up her house to this runaway. I liked that Heed wasn't what I expected because it showed depth of character. Another thing I liked about the book was that it was not a typical love story. There were no white horses or candle light dinners. But the book displayed real love. The kind they don't show in movies or tv. The love these women received from this men wasn't perfect, at times it didn't even seem sensible to be in love with Cosey. I liked how the book showed love not only in a romantic way or how it is always displayed, but it was evident in every relationship. Between husband and wife, father and child, friend to friend.


The one thing I took from "Love" was the idea that it is not what you do in life but the mark you make on others while you're living. Death is a scary, lonely idea. I'm not sure what happens when you die. I'm not even sure I could concoct the perfect heaven or after life. I do know that life continues on without us. The only thing left of us is the "love" we shared with others and how they view us once we are gone. Although I didn't necessarily love "Love" I think Morrison did a great job of expressing the idea that we truly leave footprints in the hearts of others once we pass. The characters still held onto the feelings they had for Cosey when he was alive and whether it was negative or positive; it was love. Which everyone can attest to, is never perfect.

2 comments:

  1. The story definetly expressed a different idea on love. I would say it was almost exaggerated like fairy tale stories. If that makes any since? But that made for a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked how the novel demonstrated a different kind of love. So many movies present this idea of love that is so unrealistic. I like when books or movies show a different and more real perspective. Although the novel was odd, it was interesting seeing a different love than what we're used to.

    ReplyDelete